MEETING MINUTES 23RD OCTOBER 2017

BYCCMeeting Minutes

 

Meeting of the BYCC Management Committee

Held on Monday 23rd October 2017 at Bembridge Youth and Community Centre from 7:30pm

Present: Bill Bristow (Chairman), Di Portwine (Secretary), Carl Johnston (Treasurer), Tina Bishop, Sally Pigot, Sheila Weedall, Bryan Jones and Keith Cook

Also present: Sarah Portwine

  1. Apologies for absence

Bryony Davies, Steve Warburton, Richard Weaver and Michael Murwill

  1. Approval of the minutes from the last meeting

Minutes approved and signed.

  1. Matters arising from the minutes of the last meeting

Included in agenda items – this item will no longer be included on agendas

  1. Treasurer’s Report

The treasurer has sent PayPal the relevant details to update the account so money can be transferred. The CIC had a break even month in September including the money in the PayPal account which has a current balance of approximately £1200. The BYCC paid the fireworks insurance and Wightfire invoices in September resulting in a minus figure for the month. At the end of September the BYCC and CIC accounts totalled approximately £30,000. Carl Johnston will open a new bank account specifically for the planned festival in May 2018. Bryony Davies will manage this account and ticket sales will be linked to it.

Sarah Portwine requested an increase in the bar float from £300 to £500, the additional £200 will be kept as change in the safe.

RESOLVED: The bar float will be increased from £300 to £500.

  1. Events

Halloween Horror on Saturday 28th October needs judges for the fancy dress competitions, Keith Cook volunteered. Sweets will be bought for the entries and Sarah Portwine will ask Steve Warburton if he would be kind enough to donate the six first prizes.

Fireworks night plans include catering outside, trampolines, ice cream van, stalls inside the BYCC and Bembridge fire service will bring their fire engine. A volunteer will sell hot drinks from the kitchen and Tina Bishop will sell soft drinks from her gazebo outside. Sarah and Diane Portwine will work behind the bar with Kayla Powley (bar staff). First aiders from St Johns are not available this year so a notice will be put up indicating stewards should be approached for first aid assistance as several are first aiders as well as the fire fighters who will be present.

Sarah Portwine asked for permission to purchase a gazebo to use for Santa’s grotto at the Christmas Fair and presents for the grotto. There are some presents left over from last year so this purchase should cost no more than £100.

RESOLVED: Sarah Portwine will purchase a gazebo and presents for Santa’s grotto.

Paul Wray is organising carol singers and Keith Cook will assist him and Dave Betteridge visiting the residential homes in the village.

The Village Partnership are organising a Christmas Star competition in the village and have asked if they can present the prizes at the Christmas Fair. Sarah Portwine suggested 5:30pm when Santa has finished in his grotto so he could help to give out the prizes.

Sarah Portwine proposed that the music festival planned for May 2018 be postponed until Saturday 25th May 2019. The main reason being that people are taking a long time to respond to enquiries and parking has become more complicated. This event needs to be given more time to insure its success.

RESOLVED: The BYCC music festival planned for May 2018 will be postponed until Saturday 25th May 2019.

The Committee discussed plans for Bembridge Summer Festival 2018 which will be held on Saturday 30th June. Sheila Weedall will look into the potential for a small carnival with children’s groups in the village. The dog show will be included again, more live music could be included and drone racing could be organised.

  1. Any other business

Bryan Jones is in the process of organising the run being held on Sunday 17th December. Runners will be able to register on the day as complications with the new website may mean that online registration might not be available in time. Road signs will also be purchased as previously agreed.

Sarah Portwine has purchased a new coffee machine which has proved to be popular.

Sarah Portwine has purchased a new mobile phone and Carl Johnston purchased a new card reader for the bar. These purchases were approved via email by committee members. The new phone and card reader have made card payments easier including being able to offer contactless payments.

Bembridge Parish Council are having difficulty obtaining a grant to complete the MUGA in Steyne Park. It has been suggested that the BYCC could apply for a Biffa grant of £50,000 to complete this project. The committee discussed the potential of taking on this project.

  1. Date of next meeting

Monday 4th December at 7:30pm in the lounge.