MEETING MINUTES 26TH JUNE 2017

BYCCMeeting Minutes

BEMBRIDGE YOUTH AND COMMUNITY CENTRE

STEYNE PARK, STEYNE ROAD, BEMBRIDGE PO35 5UL

TEL NO: 07756 296249/01983 873311

E-MAIL: bycc@hotmail.co.uk

Meeting of the BYCC Management Committee

Held on Monday 26th June 2017 at Bembridge Youth and Community Centre from 7:30pm

Present: Bill Bristow (Chairman), Bryony Davies (Vice Chairman), Carl Johnston (Treasurer), Di Portwine (Secretary), Bryan Jones, Michael Murwill, Richard Weaver, Steve Warburton, Sally Pigot, Tina Bishop and Keith Cook.

Also present: Sarah Portwine

  1. Apologies for absence

Richard Weaver will arrive late.

Not heard from Cllr Grant Stillman

  1. Approval of the minutes from the last meeting

Minutes approved and signed.

  1. Matters arising from the minutes of the last meeting

Sarah Portwine has spoken to the Chairman of BYFC who has quoted approximately £189 for kit sponsorship of the Under 8’s but that will last for 2 seasons.

RESOLVED: The BYCC will sponsor the kit for the Under 8’s at a cost of approximately £189.

Sarah Portwine has received quotes for a new lounge window from White Windows and Coastline. Both companies have quoted for building works as well as the window; White Windows quoted £1650 plus VAT and Coastline quoted £2320.13 plus VAT. Still waiting for Topline to arrange an appointment to quote for the window, they were a no show at the last arranged appointment. Sarah Portwine is still sourcing quotes for the security shutter.

Sarah Portwine is waiting for Wight Wireless to get back to her regarding the phone and broadband at the centre. She is also waiting for a response from Wight Computers Ltd.

  1. Treasurer’s Report – Year End Report 2016/17

The BYCC report has been sent to the Charity’s Commission and is showing a small profit for 2016/17. A discussion was had about changing the categories in the accounts to coincide with the monthly reports as there are some anomalies such as the street fair takings. Bryony Davies suggested changing from the current Excel system.

RESOLVED: The treasurer and secretary will arrange a meeting to revise the categories used on the BYCC spreadsheets and accounts.

The CIC has shown a drop in turnover of approximately £7,000 from the previous year. A discussion was had as to why this has happened. Diane Portwine felt the roadworks affected the centre. Bill Bristow and Steve Warburton stated that they thought The Spinnaker being established now could be effecting custom. Bryony Davies suggested using accountancy software which could produce balance sheet items including creditors and debtors. Steve Warburton stated that although the turnover was down the gross profit for the CIC 2016/17 was approximately £2183.

  1. Festival of Sport and Trail Run

Bryan Jones discussed the marshalling positions for the day with committee volunteers. Currently 22 runners have registered and at least another 10 – 15 runners from the local area will be attending. Expecting to have more runners sign up on the day and Ryde Harriers have been extremely helpful with the organisation and promotion of this event. Expect this to be a growing annual event and an excellent fundraiser for the centre.

Sarah Portwine outlined the plans for the Festival of Sport including children’s football, men’s cricket, BYFC Dad’s v BFC football match, Bembridge Bowls Club demonstrations, Petanque demonstrations and Bembridge Shotokan Karate Club demonstrations. The bar will be open from midday and the kitchen will be selling food and drinks all day.

  1. Bembridge Summer Festival

As stated at the previous meeting plans for the festival are going well, just need Bryan Jones for the early morning set up. Sarah Portwine will email committee members with their jobs for the day nearer the date.

  1. CIC – Bar hours

Steve Warburton provided the committee with a print out of the days that have produced the highest and lowest bar turnovers during the previous year. He asked the committee to consider whether the bar hours should be altered and ways to increase turnover on these days. Bryony Davies asked on which days there are football matches and what affect this has on takings. Richard Weaver stated that he felt keeping the bar open would be better than restricting the hours. A discussion was had about additional events such as quiz nights or rounder’s matches. The importance of private parties was also emphasised. Steve Warburton suggested opening on a Friday afternoon for park goers. Richard Weaver suggested targeting different groups of people. Michael Murwill suggested working with other organisations in the village. Keith Cook said he could look into the cost of starting short mat bowls in the hall and what interest there would be. Committee members agreed to bring new ideas for fundraising to the next meeting.

Diane Portwine proposed keeping the bar opening hours the same, seconded by Richard Weaver.

RESOLVED: The bar opening hours will remain the same.

  1. Any other business

Richard Weaver informed the committee that Grant Stillman will not be the second Parish Councillor joining the BYCC committee due to personal commitments. The Parish Council will elect another councillor to the committee at their next meeting on 18th July.

  1. Date of next meeting

Monday 31st July at 7:30pm in the lounge.