Meeting Minutes 3rd November 2014

BYCCMeeting Minutes

BEMBRIDGE YOUTH AND COMMUNITY CENTRE

STEYNE PARK, STEYNE ROAD, BEMBRIDGE PO35 5UL

TEL NO: 07756 296249/01983 873311

 

Meeting of the Management Committee

Held on Monday 3rd November 2014 at Bembridge Youth and Community Centre from 7:30pm

Present: Shaun Burden (Chairman), Tina Bishop (Treasurer), Keith Cook, Ken Marston, Sally Pigot, Bill Bristow, Theresa Martin, Carl Johnston, Bryan Jones, Mike Stilgoe and Sarah Portwine

 

 

Chairman Shaun Burden introduced Bryan Jones and the committee voted unanimously that he should become a member of the BYCC management committee.

 

  1. Apologies for absence

Steve Warburton

Alan Morris

 

  1. Approval of the minutes from the last meeting

Minutes approved and signed by Chairman Shaun Burden.

 

  1. Matters arising from the minutes of the last meeting

Mike Stilgoe reported that having completed tests on the ceiling panel lights in the hall he estimates that those lights account for £1000 per annum of the BYCC electricity charges.  The installation of LED panels could mean a 50% saving on these electricity charges so the panels would have paid for themselves after 3 years.

RESOLVED: The management committee will make a decision about the installation of LED panels in the hall at a later date.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report

The BYCC and CIC both show profits for the month of October, now the CIC Booker account has been set up Tina Bishop will transfer £2966.20 from the CIC account to the BYCC account in order to balance the payments.

 

  1. Election of Secretary

Diane Portwine has resigned as Secretary and BYCC committee member, Shaun Burden proposed Carl Johnston as new secretary, seconded by Keith Cook.  A discussion was had about the secretary’s duties and who would take the minutes, Shaun Burden asked Sarah Portwine if she would take the minutes at BYCC management committee meetings.

RESOLVED: Carl Johnston is the secretary of the BYCC management committee.

RESOLVED: Sarah Portwine will take the minutes of the BYCC management committee meetings and the committee approved the use of a dictaphone.

 

 

 

  1. Christmas Event

Shaun Burden has spoken to Dave Betteridge who is happy to participate, with his vehicle, in this year’s Christmas event.  Shaun has also booked the brass band to visit the care homes in the village, as last year, at a cost of £50.  Sarah Portwine has booked a yurt for Santa’s Grotto and will buy the children’s gifts nearer the time of the event.  Sarah has also spoken to children’s entertainers Dazzle and Fizz who have quoted £250 for 2 entertainers in minion’s costumes to attend the Christmas event from 2pm until 5:30pm.  Dazzle and Fizz will keep the children entertained with a magic show, balloon modelling etc while they wait to see Santa in his grotto and they will be an additional draw to the Christmas event.  Shaun Burden and Alan Morris have approached the Village Partnership about a financial contribution to the Christmas event but need to confirm the amount.

RESOLVED: Sarah Portwine will book Dazzle and Fizz for the Christmas event at a cost of £250 and Shaun Burden will seek a financial contribution from the Village Partnership to go towards the cost.

Sarah Portwine has spoken to the sports clubs and the scouts about having stalls at the event but felt there needs to be more.

RESOLVED: Sarah Portwine will get additional stalls to go inside for the Christmas event.

Ken Marston has purchased a skittle set that can be set up as a games stall and Tina Bishop will set up a human fruit machine stall at the event with the petanque team.

Shaun Burden and Alan Morris have looked into outside Christmas lighting and Bembridge Business Association may be covering this.  Alan Morris is happy to distribute the 3D Christmas trees to the children at the school for a decorating competition that will be judged at the Christmas event, as discussed at the previous meeting.

RESOLVED: Sarah Portwine will purchase 3D Christmas trees at a cost of 28p each for the children at Bembridge Primary School, approximately 196 children.

 

  1. Petanque terrain

A proposal to move the petanque terrain, written by Alan Morris, has been circulated to the BYCC management committee and issued to the Parish Council clerk.  This proposal will be discussed at the Parish Council meeting on 18th November and it is important that supporters of the proposal attend the meeting, including league and casual petanque players.

 

  1. Staffing policy

A staffing policy for the BYCC and CIC had been circulated to the committee via e-mail and required approval.  Sarah Portwine requested that Shaun Burden, Diane Portwine, Tom Law, Maria Vescei, Ian Bennett, Tracey Bennett, Carol Lockyer and Alan Morris be approved to work behind the bar.

RESOLVED: The BYCC management committee unanimously approved the BYCC and CIC staffing policy and the list of names submitted by Sarah Portwine.  The staffing policy was signed by Chairman Shaun Burden, CIC Director Ken Marston and Centre Manager Sarah Portwine.

 

  1. 5 year plan (Steyne Park Project)

A discussion was had about the future of the BYCC and how the committee felt it could move forward.  The main discussion centred on working in conjunction with the Steyne Park Project and looking at ways the building could be extended in order to accommodate new facilities.

RESOLVED: Sarah Portwine will speak to structural engineer David McCallum about the potential options of extending the BYCC.

 

 

 

  1. Any other business

Sarah Portwine requested approval to dispose of 2 broken sofas in one of the BYCC storage cupboards.

RESOLVED: Sarah Portwine will dispose of the broken sofas.

Sarah Portwine has booked holiday time and needs committee members and staff to help cover the bar opening hours etc.

RESOLVED: Sarah Portwine will arrange bar cover in conjunction with Shaun Burden and Carl Johnston will take the bookings phone and diary while she is on holiday.

Sarah Portwine requested that she and Mike Stilgoe are DBS checked by the BYCC due to their work with children at the karate club.

RESOLVED: Carl Johnston will ensure DBS checks are carried out for Mike Stilgoe and Sarah Portwine.

Fireworks Night is on Saturday 8th November and Sarah Portwine needs volunteers for the gazebo outside selling soft drinks and chocolate.

RESOLVED: BYCC committee members will run the gazebo selling soft drinks and chocolate on Fireworks Night, Shaun Burden to provide the gazebo.

 

  1. Date of next meeting

Wednesday 10th December at 7pm in the BYCC lounge.